Make this dairy-free spaghetti carbonara because why should we miss out on all the fun just because we’re not eating dairy?
Spaghetti carbonara – an Italian classic and one of the quickest meals you will ever make. This diary-free Spaghetti carbonara is a free-from take on one of the best pasta recipes there is.
Whether you’re craving some comfort food or after an authentic Italian pasta dish, then this dairy-free spaghetti carbonara is for you. Nothing quite beats the simplicity of a creamy bacon pasta that takes less than 30 minutes to cook.
This recipe tastes so similar to a recipe that includes dairy because the only difference is the cheese! This recipe is also low in FODMAP so it is suitable for anyone suffering from IBS. If you don’t need to avoid cheese, then the Italian hard cheese pecorino should be used. To make this gluten-free use gluten-free pasta.
How to make carbonara
You don’t need cream! There is a common preconception with Spaghetti alla Carbonara is that to make the rich creamy sauce, you need cream. To make an authentic sauce, all you need is needed is eggs and (dairy-free) cheese!
Turn the heat off when you cook the eggs
The trick in cooking this delicious dairy-free carbonara is to ensure you don’t overcook the egg, or your sauce will scramble. When it comes to adding the eggs into the mixture, turn off the heat. This way, the eggs will cook from the heat of the pasta and you will get a perfect sauce every time.
Getting carbonara right can take a little bit of practice to begin with, but once you’ve nailed the technique it will be perfect every time.
Fresh pasta will elevate this dish but it still tastes delicious with dried spaghetti. If you do make fresh pasta, just remember to cook the pasta after everything else as it only takes a matter of minutes.
This recipe calls for just 5 ingredients, and if you grow Parsley like I do, this will be abundant in your garden!
Dairy-free Spaghetti Carbonara
- 70 g Pasta per person
- 200 g Lardons
- 1 tsp Vegetable Butter
- 4 Eggs 1 per person
- 50 g Dairy-free cheese Pecorino Italian Cheese
- Handful of chopped Parsley
- Place some water into a saucepan and add the pasta.
- Melt butter in a separate pan and add the lardons. Cook for 10 minutes and turn down to a low heat.
- Crack the eggs into a jug and mix together.
- Add salt and pepper, chopped parsley and grated dairy-free cheese and mix.
- Once the spaghetti is cooked, drain it, but keep it in the pan. Add in the lardons, not throwing away any fat from the butter or lardons as this will add flavour.
- Making sure the heat is off, pour in the egg mixture and mix until fully combined.
- The pasta should look glossy and should be in a thick sauce.
- Divide between 4 and sprinkle over some cheese and parlsey to serve.