Katsu Curry, a popular Japanese dish. Wagamamas released their Katsu Curry recipe this week I decided to try my hand at it, with free from substitutions of course.
I’ve wanted to post a recipe for Katsu for so long, as it is one of my favourite comfort foods, but it has taken a while to perfect the recipe. I now have a better technique to make the sauce and the rest is easy!
This recipe serves 4. I’m using chicken, but for a vegetarian and vegan option you could bread sweet potato or tofu.
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder/garlic infused oil
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2-3 tbspn curry powder
- 1 tbspn cornflour
- 400ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 200ml coconut milk – from a tin to ensure nut free
- 3 tsp sugar, or to taste
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbspn gluten free flour
- 3-4 slices of gluten free bread for breadcrumbs
- 600g Basmati rice (or any plain rice)
To Start, chop the onion. Add a few splashes of oil into a non-stick saucepan and start to fry the onion on a medium heat.
Wait until they browned off and softened before adding in your garlic powder, ground ginger, turmeric and curry powder. Stir until spices have mixed in with the onions.
Then add in the cornflour and do the same. Cook for about a minute or 2 to ensure the flour cooks off, then slowly stir in the stock.
Add a bit at a time, stirring constantly until the katsu thins and turns into a sauce.
Once all the stock has been added, slowly stir in the coconut milk.
Leave the sauce to cook on a low heat.
Meanwhile, take the chicken breast and slice in half so you have 2 pieces of thin chicken for each breast. Dip each piece in flour, then the egg and roll in breadcrumbs, coating evenly.
Fill a skillet or wok with about 2cm of vegetable oil and shallow fry the chicken. Keep in the oven to ensure it is kept warm.
Cook the rice until it is soft and fluffy and plate up.
Sieve the sauce to ensure a smooth Katsu sauce. Place the rice first, then place the chicken next to it and pour over a healthy splash of sauce.
Serve with these delicious gyoza on the side!
- 4 Chicken Breasts or vegan/vegetarian equivalent
- 400g Basmati Rice1
- 2-3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 2-3 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 tbsp Cornflour
- 600 ml Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 200 ml Coconut milk or dairy/nut free equivalent
- 2 tsp sugar or to taste
- Chop the onion, fry until soft.
- Add in the spices, mix and cook for a minute or 2 until combined.
- Add in the cornflour, mix and cook for a minute or 2 until combined.
- Slowly add the stock until the mix starts to thin and become like a sauce.
- Add in the coconut milk.
- Leave on a low heat to cook through.
- Slice the chicken in half horizontally, and bread the pieces, by dipping in flour, egg, then breadcrumbs.
- Shallow fry the chicken and keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.
- Cook the rice until soft and fluffy whilst the chicken is cooking.
- Sieve the sauce and serve.