This Low FODMAP chilli is a gut-friendly alternative to the much-loved delicious chilli con carne. Chilli con carne is traditionally made with onions, garlic and quite a few spices, which is all well and good for normal diets, but when onion and garlic are one of the two foods people with IBS and gut issues are sensitive to, it makes sense to take them out.
I’ve always believed that onion and garlic were needed to create rich deep flavours, but since going Low FODMAP, I have found that this definitely does not compromise on flavour.
This easy Low FODMAP chilli con carne recipe is a quick and classic sharing option for a casual dinner party or a weekday meal. It’s an easy favourite for gluten-free, dairy-free and Low FODMAP diets. It’s quick and easy to make at home and uses ingredients from your cupboards.
You can whip up this chilli in 5 minutes and you will be able to learn this recipe off by heart!
The first time I made this recipe I wasn’t convinced about the 2 tins of tomatoes, but trust me, you will be thankful for this extra liquid. As it cooks, the tomatoes will reduce to a thick rich sauce packed full of flavour.
I make this meal with turkey mince for a low fat and cheaper option, but you could easily make this with beef mince or Quorn mince. The choice of meat doesn’t matter a great deal as it is a vessel for the flavour.
In this recipe, I only use 2 spices. That’s right, only 2 – 1 teaspoon of chilli powder for the heat and 1 teaspoon of cumin (the base flavour of chilli) for heat and depth.
An extra bit of rich, sweetness comes from a couple of squares of chocolate and a gluten-free Knor beef stock cube/jelly.
I’ve served this Low FODMAP chilli in tortilla bowls, easily created by baking in the oven over ramekins for 10 minutes until crispy. They add an element of fun to the meal and taste great with dairy-free sour cream or a spoonful of homemade guacamole.
If you’re not following a low FODMAP lifestyle, why not add in a portion of kidney beans?
Serve on its own with rice, salad or try these gluten and wheat free wrap bowls.
Low FODMAP Chilli
- 500g Turkey Mince
- 1 tbsp Cornflour
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 tins Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Knorr Beef Stock Cubes
- 3-6 Squares of NOMO Chocolate
- Salt and Pepper
- Fry the mince in a little oil until white all over.
- Add the flour, chilli and cumin and fry for about 30 seconds whilst stirring.
- Add both tins of tomatoes and mix.
- Add the stock cube, and cook for a while, stirring frequently.
- Add a small amount of chocolate (to your taste)
- Simmer on a gentle heat for about 20-30 minutes until the turkey is cooked through.
For the Wrap Bowls
- If serving in a wrap bowl, take the wraps and oil both sides liberally.
- Take some ramekins and cup the wraps over them.
- Cover with foil and cook in the oven for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, take the wraps off of the ramekins and turn the other way so they look like bowls.
- Cook in the oven for another 5 minutes so they crisp up slightly.
- Take the wraps out of the foil, place in a bowl and fill with the Chilli.